Northwest Coast Straight Knives
Our straight knife is hafted in beautiful hardwood and has a short powerful drop-point high carbon tool steel blade perfect for incising, striking lines and finishing tasks. This tool is ideal for Northwest coast carving and about any other type too. Comes with a black seine twine wrap and a fine hand-sewn heavy-weight oak-tanned “tool box” leather sheath (no belt loop; belt loop is available as an option). A sharp and unique tool, functional and beautiful. Overall length about 8", working blade length 2", 3/32″ thick, matte finish. These custom knives are made to order: allow up to six weeks for delivery.
The fully custom Northwest Coast Straight Knife in the Deluxe version is a suitable reward for a seasoned carver. If you are just getting started carving, choose a blade and make up your own tool. The satisfaction you get from using it will be magnified by the fact that you made it up yourself. Choose a nice piece of hardwood and take your time making it – don't make it clunky – follow the directions carefully. The leather sheaths we make up are fit to each knife, so they are not available separately. There will be a chapter in the tool book on leather work but I am sorry I don't have directions or patterns available. Make a pattern to fit your tool from a folded over piece of newspaper. Add a gusset piece in the middle. Glue up with barge cement, trim and sew.
Northwest Coast Straight Knife
- #K-2 Deluxe-grade knife: twine-wrapped haft, no belt loop unless specified.
- #KS-2 Utility-grade knife: hardwood haft without twine wrap; rubber guard only, no sheath (request a length of twine & instructions to wrap your own)
- #KB-2 Blade only: comes with hafting and assembly instructions
Baby Northwest Coast Straight Knife
The “Baby” straight knife is shorter and thinner than the full size blade and has a pointier profile. The thin blade means easy penetration while striking lines. Good for incising, finishing, and detailing. Black seine twine wrapped hardwood haft and leather sheath included on Deluxe grade. Overall length about 6 1/2″, working blade length 1 9/16″, 9/64″ thick, matte finish.
- #K-3 Deluxe-grade knife: with leather sheath and twine wrap.
- #KS-3 Utility-grade knife: hardwood haft without twine wrap; rubber guard only, no sheath (request a length of twine & instructions to wrap your own).
- #KB-3 Blade only: comes with hafting and assembly instructions
Kestrel Detailing Knife
I find one of these knives in my hand about as often as any other tool I own. Super for detailing and fine incising cuts. The narrow blade will turn a tight corner and the fine tip will poke in almost anywhere. The blade of the detail knife is pretty long, for most jobs you'll appreciate the length. If you want to choke up on the knife, wrap a the blade with a couple of wraps of masking tape, or use a short length of rubber tubing, as shown above.
The Detail Knife has a graceful hardwood haft with a comfortable and practical shape. Comes with rubber blade guard. Overall length 8". Approximate cutting length 2", blade 1/2″ wide, 1/16th" thick, matte finish.
- #K-6 Kestrel Detailing Knife
- #KB-6 Honed Blade with hafting instructions